Saturday, April 19, 2014

Top Three Easter Basket Treats

Headed to an Easter brunch or an afternoon Easter egg hunt? Don't bring the same ol' same ol' jelly beans and chocolate bunnies. Trade in those Peeps and  Cadbury Eggs for some equally sweet and exponentially more inventive Easter treats from some of my favorite local bakeries around town. So what are you waiting for? Grab your Easter basket and get ready to fill it with Fork This, Savannah's Top Three Easter Basket Treats.

1. Maison de Macaron's Macaron Assortment



At $1.89 a pop these french inspired cookies come in all the the Eastery pastel colors and flavors you could ask for. I picked the blue vanilla bean, pink raspberry, and yellow Meyer lemon flavors. A crisp, slightly chewy shell gives way to a smooth, delicate, cream filling.


The vanilla bean had real flecks of vanilla bean for a rich flavor that's anything but "vanilla."



The raspberry wasn't too tart, lightly sweet. A flavor I can only describe as "pink."


The lemon was nice and sour; a cross between lemon curd and your mom's lemon bars.




Bring a dozen of these french cookies to the Easter brunch and the adults will thank you.

Maison de Macaron
 1100 Eisenhower Dr #28, Savannah, GA 31406
(912) 665-9894

2. Two Smart Cookies' Iced Bunny Cookies

Perfect for the kids. At $1.25 a piece, these blue-iced bunny-shaped cookies are better than anything you can get at the grocery store. Especially for the price. Trust me. They're thickly cut and dense. More like a shortbread because of  their smooth, sweet consistency. Not gritty like a lot of store bought sugar cookies. Think shortbread without the overt butter flavor with a splash of almond extract. Like a wedding cake in cookie form. The icing provides a nice glaze of sweetness and pop of festive color. Not chalky at all (I'm looking at you, Target sugar cookies...) Bring these cute blue bunnies to the Easter egg hunt and you'll probably get nominated for "World's Coolest Mom."



Two Smart Cookies
6512 White Bluff Road
Savannah, GA 31405
912-353-2253


3.  Smallcakes: A Cupcakery's  Vanilla Easter Cupcake




The over-achiever of Easter cupcakes. These moist vanilla (real vanilla bean right in the batter!) cupcakes are expertly frosted with a fluffy swirl of purple vanilla icing and cleverly decorated with Peeps and Robin's Eggs. I got one right out of the oven and seriously. The cake was oh-so-delightfully falling apart under the weight of all the indulgent Easter candy toppings.



These cupcakes are delicious and impressive. Bring these to the school Easter party and say you baked them yourself. People will call you the next Martha Stewart. Everyone will love you. Your dentist will hate you.

Smallcakes: A Cupcakery
7360 Skidaway Road, Unit L-1
Savannah, Georgia 31406
912-200-4395


3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Christen!! I want ALL of these sweet treats!! Everything looks so delicious! I really hope that I haven't missed out on these treats now that it is technically after Easter. I know that I want all of them but I cannot decide which I would want to try first! The macaroons sound soooooo good, especially the vanilla bean on! I am obsessed with vanilla flavored ANYTHING, so I'm sure I would be getting the vanilla one. Those cookies look so nice and thick, you are definitely getting a lot for your buck! This looks great, and I am super jealous that you got to indulge in all of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can get all of these after Easter, (except the Easter themed cupcake) and Two Smart Cookies always has cute seasonally shaped cookies. You name the holiday, they have a cookie for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang. I don't even like Peeps but those cupcakes look like a marshmallow-topped heaven. The best part of this post though was that I now know of three different bakeries. My mom has been obsessed with baking forever and I plan on taking her to Back in the Day when she comes to visit. But now I'll be sure to take her to Two Smart Cookies as well. The woman loves cookies...

    ReplyDelete