Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Nostalgic BBQ Lunch at Sandfly BBQ

Tom Petty and The Heartbreaker's Free Falling blasts from the stereo as I walk into Sandfly, Georgia's aptly named BBQ joint, Sandfly Barbecue. Vintage license plates from states like Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Tennessee line the walls. In the small dining room, cherry red booths cozy up to framed pictures of music legends like Elvis Presley and Hank Williams. The Beach Boys and The Rolling Stones.
The Dining Room

Hank Williams

Like its decor, Sandfly Barbecue is a little bit nostalgic, a little bit rock-and-roll. The chalk-written menu behind the counter has all the familiar BBQ favorites you'd expect--pulled pork, ribs, mac and cheese, Brunswick stew--making it the kind of place you used to go with your grandparents after church. Back when you still had to wear a napkin tucked in your shirt collar. Or the kind place you might stop to eat on a cross-country road trip across southern Americana. Sandfly's menu is as extensive as it is classic, so I've broken down my favorites below:



THE MAIN DISH // THE BEEF BRISKET JR. SANDWICH


Beef Jr. with Fried Okra
 It's approximately six ounces of tender, chopped just-salty-enough beef brisket on a classic hamburger bun with sliced pickles on the side. The meat is juicy (not greasy), smoky, and flavorful-- you don't even need sauce.

But the sauce  takes this little sandwich over the edge. On the table, you've got three sauce options. A creamy yellow-orange one--a sharp mustard-based Carolina style (if you opt for the Pork Jr., I highly recommend the Carolina style).  A reddish one that doesn't even need to be labeled HOT. I can see the red pepper seeds through the bottle. And a maple syrup colored one. It's a sweet, slightly tangy--more of a Memphis style. If you're a fan of "Memphis Style" barbecue sauce like me, pick the last one.  A little goes a long way. I drizzled on just a teaspoon or so, and the sweetness really heightened the flavor of the beef.  



THE DESSERT// HOUSEMADE COCONUT CAKE



The kind of cake that starts a fight. If you're lucky, you come to Sandfly Barbecue when they have a freshly baked coconut cake sitting on a stand at the order counter. Get it before it's gone. Trust me. This ain't your synthetically sweet grocery store-bought cake. This is a cakewalk style, state fair blue ribbon-winning coconut cake. The best I've had at any bakery or restaurant in Savannah. 



It's sweet, but not too sweet, fluffy white cake frosted with thick, coconut flecked frosting. It's never dry, with a hint of pineapple if my taste buds aren't fooling me. The whole cake is topped off with an indulgent flurry of shaved coconut. They serve up generous hunks of this creamy coconut cake on green checked parchment paper. If you happen to order the last slice of cake like I did, I'd watch your back. 

Come for the barbecue, stay for the coconut cake. Either way, if you don't usually venture outside of the downtown area for a good meal, I highly recommend you grab the car and hit Truman Parkway for a short road trip to Sandfly, Georgia. Roll down the windows, put some Neil Young on the radio. The nostalgic, rock-and-roll- road-trip meal awaiting you at Sandfly BBQ won't disappoint.

Sandfly BBQ
8413 Ferguson Avenue
Savannah, Georgia 31406
(912) 356-5463
OPEN Monday – Saturday 11:00 am – 8:00 pm
Price: Meals range from $7-$15

3 comments:

  1. This is awesome, Christen! I've already eaten dinner and this makes me want to get in the car and go get some BBQ!! Your pictures are great as well, are you just simply taking them on your phone or are you using a high-tech camera. Whatever you're using, it makes the food look so good!! I can't wait to try this place! May even take my parents there the next time they visit! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I take photos with my iPhone and use google photo editing tools. But a well lit restaurant really helps :)

      Delete
  2. Yet another place I need to go eat! I love barbecue. Very well written, you give us a sense of the place. I know the sort of atmosphere to expect and I enjoy how you dedicated a section to each course.

    ReplyDelete