Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Summer Food and Menu Hacks: La Parrilla Mexican Restaurant

I always consider Mexican food a summer staple, I have no idea why. Maybe it's the icy margaritas. Maybe the flavors conjure the exotic white beaches and palm trees of Cancun with every spicy bite (Truthfully, I could find a way to make Mexican food a staple for any season. I LOVE Mexican food).

 My family has close ties to the southwest. My Dad lived in Arizona for years and I was born in New Mexico. Because of this, my dad and I are kind of Mexican food snobs. A few years ago, we headed west to see The Alamo and visit some old friends. We ate Mexican food for every meal. I kid you not.  It's hard to find Mexican food that matches the quality and authenticity that you find in Texas or any southwestern state. Don't let its Oglethorpe Mall location throw you off, because La Parilla Mexican Restaurant comes pretty close.


WHAT TO ORDER / THE BEST MENU HACK

I love their Carne Asada Tacos, their massive California style burritos.  You can order anything on this menu and you won't be disappointed.

But the best "menu hack" is the  Taquitos Traditionales. It's the best value on the menu. For under $9, you get three corn tortillas wrapped around shredded chicken or beef brisket (your choice, you can mix and match) and fried to crispy golden perfection. 



 They smother it in tangy salsa verde (I'm very picky about my salsa verde and this is a little bit savory with a punch of citrus. An excellent combo). It's then topped off with shredded lettuce, fresh pico de gallo, and drizzled with sour cream. Most places tend to scorch the filling and it gets dry and crunchy like the tortilla. But not at La Parrilla.

Taquito with brisket filling

 Here the taquitos are perfect; crunchy on the outside and moist on the inside  What makes this the best menu hack is that traditionally, the dish also comes garnished with a generous serving of queso dip. Ask for it on the side. They'll bring you a cup the size of their small cheese dip appetizer. If you ordered the queso off the appetizer menu, you'd pay about $5.  It's delicious, sneaky, and cheap. 

So what are you waiting for? Grab your sunglasses. Ask them to seat you on La Parrilla's substantial outdoor patio. Forget you're outside the Oglethorpe Mall. Order some taquitos and a cold glass of sangria. Sail away to a spicy, summer, happy place. 


7804 Abercorn Extension
Savannah, Georgia 31406
(912) 354-3757
Sun-Wed 11am-10pm
Thurs-Sat 11am-10:30pm

4 comments:

  1. This made me so excited for summer, and I cannot wait to try this place out! It sounds delicious! I love Mexican food!!! The pictures are making me want to skip my class and go there for lunch TODAY!! You have the best description of this food and it makes me really want it NOW! Thanks for the stomach grumbles!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must go there! I think you'd really like it! And if I didn't mention it, their sangria is amazing too. It's chock full of fresh fruit.

      Delete
  2. I am SO happy you posted this review. Mexican is by far my favorite food and after spending time in Arizona and New Mexico, I've gotten so picky about my Mexican. But, I'm definitely going to give this place a try. I was also reading, in Savannah Magazine, about a place called La Xalapena, do you know anything about it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried that place. I'll have to add it to my list. Definitely give La Parrilla a try. Some Mexican restaurants around town can be greasy and food comes out looking like it sat under a heat lamp for an hour. The produce, meats, and cheeses they use are top quality and it always looks fresh!

    ReplyDelete